Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Books I have lost

By lending, I have lost contact with the following books. Have you seen them?



1. DR. ZHIVAGO, by Boris Pasternak.

I saw the film much later after I lost the book. How I missed those so called "Poems for Lara". What a shame Pasternak had to decline the Nobel Prize! In losing the book, I lost a chance to compare the work with its portrayal in the Hollywood flick of the same name. Something still tells me the book is with Sola Olorunyomi, and he'll actually return it... someday! On the bright side, I still have his film, EVITA with me.

2. SATANIC VERSES, by Salman Rushdie.

Bought in the UK, (since the ban/fatwa prevents it from being sold here in Nigeria) I lost this one too in the University of Ibadan, loaned out to a friend who refused to return it :(. I had read it halfway and gave it out only because I was busy with other issues. I'm on my way to getting another one. Rushdie is a genius with prose-poetry.

3. MY UNCLE OSWALD, by Roald Dahl.

My first encounter with Dahl, I found this one of the best sex writings that is not only clean, but enchanting and with sustained humour. I only wonder what he wrote in his children's books. I'll miss this book more because it is signed. No, not by the author but by the German friend who gave it to me. :(

4. HOUSE OF WAR, by Dare Babarinsa.

Signed this time by the author when I met him during my tenure as president of UCJ (www.ucj.zzn.com, www.ucjnigeria.org), he was always staying late at his office in Ikeja so I got some time to conduct an interview and secure a promise from him to come to the University to contribute his quota to campus journalism. A promise which he kept. I carried his comprehensive first-hand narration of the Nigerian crises of the early eighties with much jealousy, until it moved by itself out of my room at A52, Mellamby Hall, UI, not to be found anymore.

SURELY YOU MUST BE JOKING, MR. FEYMNANN, by Richard Feynmann

For all who are interested in the life and times of the curious character that was Richard Feynman, the 1965 Nobel Prize-winning Physicist, famous for his practical jokes and off-handedness with serious issues of physics, this is the book to read. Written in his own words. If you think scientists do not have fun, you'd be surprised and have a change of mind. He died, I think, in 1998. I bought this at a "bend-down-bookstore" at Dugbe for 100naira from someone who apparently didn't know what it was worth, and now I'll have to pay a fortune to get it at Amazon. I know who this book is with, but I doubt she'd give it back, having got a taste of its contents. :((

6. DEATH AND THE KING'S HORSEMAN, by Wole Soyinka.

I'll buy another one.

7. COMPLETE WORKS OF SHAKESPEARE

I have another copy.

8. OEDIPUS ON THE ROAD by Henry Bauchau

A prose work that continued the Oedipus story with much imagination. It's quite moving, and recommended for reading, to anyone interested in a well written sequel to the Sophoclean trilogy.

9. PHILOSOPHICAL ESSAYS, by Sanya Onabamiro.

I got this one, and another one of the same title by Tam David West as a gift/inheritance from my father and now, my friend who took it without my permission will no more return it.

10. TIMELESS TAI, a collection of Tai Solarin's articles on education.

It's red, it's laminated. Now it's lost. There you'll read why nSolarin was called a thinker. Or a "confused" one, as Soyinka said in The Man Died.

11. THE MAN DIED, by Wole Soyinka

The black edition. I heard that this one I now have - the brown one is an edited one, with original parts deleted. Worse are the errors! Too many typos to count in a work of an accomplished writer. One of the ills of publishing in Nigeria, I would say.

12. LISTEN TO THE GECKOS SINGING by Tolu Ogunlesi

Ah, I almost forgot how an authographed copy of a friend's work went mysteriously. If you read this Tolu, you may wanna ask for my postal address...!

2 comments:

Orikinla Osinachi. said...

From such an intellectual background, you are well bred to be an intellectual yourself.

I read my own kind of classics from Tolstoy to Kafka to Thomas Moore to Camus to Soyinka and I must say I am an authority on Cyprian Ekwensi. I discovered the genius of Ben Okri before the world did. But these days I don't read much, because I have been engaged in political activism and only God saved me from suicide in the summer of 2004. Right now the international bestseller The 8th HABIT by Stephen R. Covey is by my side and I read it to keep me in focus.

Well done.

For serious writings, see my articles on BlogWonga.

God bless.

iGwatala said...

Keep up the work. Like a comment I received two weeks ago, the world can sometimes be a burden.

Here, RE: I shall not change the world:

My love, the whole world is too great a burden
Even for the strongest human shoulder.
Abeg, it's like me fighting the battle of Verdun,
All on my own and, lonely, growing older

Be well.

PS: I am currently reading my second copy of Salman Rushdie's SATANIC VERSES. I'll be back with comments, shortly.