Thursday, February 08, 2007

Okay, Okay.

Let us start today with this song from Eminem. Let me confess, he's actually one of the songwriters I relate to much lately. This track plays on the computer as I write from an author's office this midnight:

Sometimes I feel I'm crazy...
why am I here, am I just wasting my time?
But then I see my baby, suddenly I'm not crazy,
It all makes sense when I look into her eyes.

Sometimes it feels like the world's on my shoulder
Everyone leaning on me
Sometimes it feels like the world's almost over
but then she comes back to me
...

Okay, so much about retiring from blogging. It wasn't meant to be, as you must have guessed, but sometimes you wonder if the world was going to end, and you try to speak, say something out before you go, instead of leaving the world to complain of your impromptu exit. You know; that... let me speak before they try to insinuate that the exiting was not prethought of...

Back to songs, I also remember this from the movie "Bringing down the House". Queen Lateefah had sung:

Life aint going nowhere
slow down
I'm just taking my time
until you show me some time
that you're better than the rest...

The advice here often becomes the hardest to adhere to. But it's true, right? Life's going nowhere.

So, so much for philosophy. Blogging will remain. Maybe it's the new reality. "Google is the new Godot". Flash drive is the new trinket. Everyone is wearing it now. We will remain here, it seems, and what we MUST do, is to keep on speaking to one another. I may not be able to transmit my thoughts through words however. I may not successfully transmit my amazements, fears and hopes. My knowledge fail me when I face stark reality. Like Milosz described, it is like a housefly's amazement on the waxed glass of a vehicle, how does it understand the concept of solid air? And how much innocence must remain in a man until he is genuinely flawed? Isn't innocence itself overrated? Useless questions really, but not useless, the acts of questioning.

Welcome me back? There's so much to learn from each other.

NB: If you would be in Ibadan in March, you could drop by at the Osundare at 6o Literary Fete at venues in Ibadan, Ikere, and Lagos. See ya there!

4 comments:

Nilla said...

Welcome back!

Answering one of your questions, I don't think innocence is overrated. But I think it does have degrees though.

ME said...

Do you sleep, nilla? Hi.

mack said...

yeah both of you... sleep deprivation is not good....

Gwtala, vell-cam.

somegirl said...

Yes, Eminem has a couple of great songs! Check out the following:

Mockingbird

Stan

Hailie's Song

And lastly a song to which I have been listening lately:

Jessie by Joshua Kadison