Sunday, August 02, 2009

Looking Back

I just realized that this blog is over three years old now. Wow. If it were a baby, it would have long learnt to call me "daddy"!!!

While chatting online yesterday with a faithful blog reader/fan whom I've never even met, I realized that so many waters had passed under this iGwatala bridge. I remember a time when I took the whole site offline for a reason I no longer remember. Sometimes I felt that I was expecting too much from the portal. I overcame the phase, resolved myself to see it as what it is: just a blank slate to write on, and we've been fine ever since, during the ups and downs. Today, I want to re-visit a few of the most interesting posts in the history of my blog, and take my new readers back down memory lane. Enjoy.

My Books of 2006 (December, 2006)
On the Spell Checker (December, 2006)
How to Write a Poem (October, 2006)
Discovering Babel Poetry (February, 2007)
Discovering More Babel Poetry (February, 2007)
Two Poems from Lagos (January, 2007)
Rise of the Machines (October, 2008)
Grammatika
(September, 2008)
Some Ramblings on Language (May, 2009)
Pidigin English and I (July, 2009)

You can find my (almost) sonnet, "Here, moving", that won the Sentinel Bar Challenge of October, 2006 online. My article "Speaking the Machine: a personal narrative of a translation experience" was also published in Farafina Issue #12 of December 2007, and it skipped my mind to blog about it. I love that article. My contribution to Books of 2008, as compiled by Molara Wood and published in the very first issue of Next Newspaper is also online. I look forward to contributing to the next issue. I came across some very interesting books this year. My short story, "Behind the Door" was published by StoryTime in May 2009, and it's here where you can read and leave comments. They are appreciated. I've also contributed to Nigerianstalk.org, Instablogs and Farafina Blog as a guest blogger. My poem, "I'd Rather Be A Man" - a cheeky gender satire was recently performed (thanks to Laolu Olajugbe) at a gathering of the Guild of Artist and Poets in Abuja to critical appraisal. The feedback to it has once again assured that I could keep its sacred texts to myself for a little while more ;) Sorry folks.

I've also managed to finally join the Twitter train, and so far, it's turning out to be a very good resource for the news I could use. If you ever find yourself on its "multiverse", come find me @ Baroka. Let me tell you what I know. Now, if you'd excuse me, it's time for me to get back to learning Yoruba in the depths. I will need all the advice/luck I can get to be a good foreign language teacher in a foreign university.


Update 03/10: Take a look also at my pre-latest post - this one, that made me so, so very mad.


Ps: The photo above is of "Sẹkẹrẹ", a traditional Yoruba musical instrument in the percussion category. The photo was stolen from Jumoke Verissimo's Facebook page. How do I know that she won't sue me?

9 comments:

RocNaija said...

Interesting taking a peek into an esteemed blogger's mindset..

When I grow up I want to be like you..

Temitayo said...

You have indeed come a long way...by the way, what about the name Baroka (asides Lion and the Jewel though).Keep the fire burning!

Kola Tubosun said...

Hi Roc. Flattering will get you nowhere... Thanks for the support.

@Temi. Thanks. Never knew you have a blog of your own too. :D Baroka is just a name. Well, I guess WS gave it to us, and he's not taking it back.

I hope you enjoyed the links. My regards.

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

Nice looking back. You are very accomplished. I really liked the Pidgin English and I post.

Take care!

NIGERIAN CURIOSITY
IT WAS SO MUCH EASIER WHEN I ONLY HAD ONE...

Kola Tubosun said...

@Solomonsydelle

Thank you for coming. I appreciate the nice words.

Vera Ezimora said...

You don go farrrrrrr!!! I envy you. Boy, writing is no easy thing, so more grease to your elbows. And thanks for tagging me (on Twitter). Now I feel all special & stuff!

:-)

AlooFar said...

three years already? how time flies!

keep burning blogger, keep burning.

Kola Tubosun said...

Thanks folks.
You're now making me feel like it's my birthday.

@Vera: You ARE special. It's not everyday that one sees a green eye.

@Aloofar: Thanks for this special outing just for me.

Mak said...

I've been so aloof and away-- lost in the contingencies of surviving solo. How are you my friend?