Saturday, November 04, 2006

My Spell Checker

Spell checkers, I have found, are the most fascinating indicators in computer technologies that machines would always be machines. They have never failed to fascinate and amuse, especially in their responses to African names and expressions: you type in "Seun", a Nigeian name, and what you get as suggestions for correction are English words, "seen, "sewn", "sawn", "sean", "spun" etc to your own very amusement. (I've been somewhat lucky though. My name has never been subjected to such electronic scrutiny since it seems to have aready equivalent in the language of the machine: Kola for kola nut). But I ask myself, is there any good in the computer therefore for the African man who has come to embrace globalisation and technology as the answer to the primitiveness he has often been tagged along with? Because, as we have sadly found out, technology doesn't speak in our tongue nor tolerates the structures and nature of our names!

Anyway, I got this poem and I want to share it with you. It's one other result of the perfectionistic insistence of the English spellchecker. I hope it inspires you to deeper thinking on the absolute dependence on computer and technology.

Titled: Eye Halve a Spelling Chequer

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rarely ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect in it's weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.

-- Sauce unknown


End Notes: I have written a more detailed article on my chance enounters with the humour and mischief of language in technology, like above, upcoming soon in Farafina Magazine.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice poem ! Please send an email to everyone on your email list to get the Borishade man out of govt- I look forward to the list having over a 1000 signatures .

iGwatala said...

I sure will. Thanks.